My son Eric has several friends at our house in Victor for the weekend. Usually I just go about my business, chatting superficially with them, making dinner, doing my own thing. The son of one of our friends stayed behind today to work and I was curious why a 20 something guy would turn down a day of Spring skiing to work...he said he was doing a couple of podcasts. I'm thinking....watching podcasts? He said no, actually making them. He's interviewing renowned time-efficiency gurus for his company Asian Efficiency. Turns out he's a tech guru for them. They are working on teaching people how to initiate rituals (the new word for habits) at this moment. I tuned in to Asian Efficiency on the web immediately and sure enough there he is on the website. I signed up. I wanted to sneak downstairs and listen to him interview his guests but that's probably creepy. I'm blown away...here's someone pretty cool in my home and if I hadn't been curious, look what I would have missed.
The art of small talk is a dying art but today, more than ever, I know the power of asking questions. What do you do? Why do you do it? Where are you from? Why did you move here? What is your passion in life? How did you get into your work?
Just think how rich we could be if we all took time out of our self absorption to make small talk. Be curious, learn and enjoy what is in front of us.
These poor guys...they are going to be questioned out by the end of the weekend. Will they come back next year after the crazy red head has turned their weekend into a jeopardy game. I hope so...they are pretty darn cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment