Monday, April 29, 2013

It's Hard to Be Funny When Your Nose is Running

So one of the main reasons I wanted to start a blog is because I love to write and even more importantly, I love to turn a good tale. But with allergy season in full bloom in Wyoming, it's been hard to muster up the energy to do anything but grab tissues and dab the nose between sneezes. Little did I know when I moved to Wyoming almost 16 years ago that I would be allergic to the whole state. Seriously! When I finally drug myself out of the River of Denial and went to the allergist, the inflammation from the pin pricks on my back was akin to a bad case of poison ivy (which by the way I'm also allergic to.) There are at least 30 weeds that don't like me in this state in addition to sage and mountain cedar. Have you ever been anywhere in Wyoming where you don't see sage? Basically anything that grows in Wyoming is NOT my friend.

I used to think my nose belonged to a marathon runner. It would always run and run when I went outdoors. It took a trip to Boston to alert me that I could go outdoors without having my nose run. Imagine my surprise when I got back to the hotel and didn't have to blow once. It was a miracle day for me!

Nowadays I am getting to know the nurses at the Allergy Clinic rather well with twice a week visits where I get poked not once, but twice at every visit. My arms are starting to look like a battlefield and seriously I'm wondering if I go swimming if I'll sink from all the holes in my arms. For a girl who has never liked shots, I'm finding that these painful pricks are my only hopes of living in this state without having an eternally red nose.

I'm also thinking about investing in Kleenex. I have a stockpile of the soft stuff in my closet, car and purse. My favorite? I can personally recommend the ones with aloe!

Most importantly I'm looking forward to the day when I can walk outside and not need a tissue. When I can go hiking and not have to fill my backpack with Claritin. Or not scare away the wildlife with my sneezing. Will that day ever happen? It better because I'm not doing the shots because I like them. And I'm never moving back to Texas. My nose is happy there but I'll take sneezing over sweating any day!





No comments:

Post a Comment