Well, I knew I would be learning lessons but this first one was rough. CHOOSE your campground wisely. I picked this one haphazardly through Google as I was driving. Hey Google, find me a campground in Boise. WRONG. Research. Our campground, while very nice, is right next to the interstate. I can hear EVERY truck, car, 18-wheeler going by. In addition, it's next to an airport thus the occasional plane rumbling above. The noise is incredible. Not only are the dogs stressed but so am I. I am definitely not a city girl anymore. I hate the noise!
Second lesson involved the expense of pulling one of these babies. We are getting 7 miles per gallon. We filled up in Pocatello and then had to fill up again in Boise. We used the app Gas Buddy and learned that it's not accurate. It said Maverick was $3.13 a gallon and when we got there it was $3.31. We then had to make a stop at Walmart and found it was $3.19 a gallon. We had already filled up.
Third lesson, the trailer hitch. We could not figure out how to unhook the trailer from the truck so we could go into Boise. They would not separate despite us jumping on the truck bed to loosen it. Along comes a wise old RVer who told us to put the truck in neutral and he shook the truck and the lock released and presto, we could unhook. That goes to say that RVers are nice and helpful! Yay! Just like our buddies next door, Tracey and Karen who explained that you have to open both ends of the black water pipe to shove it into the bumper and helped us adjust our brakes. I guess the "been there, done it" adage applies as everyone has been a first-timer at one point in their life.
Did I tell you the dogs are stressed? They have no clue what we have done to them and I'm hoping they get used to it. Skye slept on the short full-sized bed with Tom and I last night. They slept. I listened to the noise and tried to figure out where to put my feet. About 2:30 am Tom got up and the dogs wanted out. We took them out, they drank a ton of water and Skye promptly threw up on her bed. Luckily we were camped right by the bathrooms and I went in and cleaned that mess up while Tom took them on a short walk. Skye then got relegated to the floor and I was able to fall asleep til 8 am.
Tonight we're driving to Silver Lake Oregon and staying by a reservoir. No cell phone, no wifi. Quiet. Peaceful is what we're looking for.
I am happy to report that the bed is comfortable...without the dog!
Talk to you from down the road!
Fun stuff Pam. Enjoy your travels and report back so we can live vicariously.
ReplyDeleteWell, this promises to be very entertaining!
ReplyDeleteI am sure that by the end you will be pros and have great adventures to share for years to come!!!
ReplyDelete“Learning Curve”!!! Enjoy a quiet night sleep 😴
ReplyDeleteI could barely get past the thought of you driving while searching Google for an RV park...YIKES!!! 😱
ReplyDeleteI hope you and the dogs become less stressed each day:)
We have a pop up camper called the Chateau Relax-o and you're not wrong about the learning curve. A little grease on the hitch will help with connecting and disconnecting--as well as the neutral trick. We've had good luck using the dyrt and campendium websites for campsite reviews. Love hearing the stories!!!
ReplyDelete